Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Hmmm...I don't really know where to start with this blog entry and I toyed with the idea of just not writing anything at all but somehow I feel I need to, even if it rambles on, even if it hurts, even if it is depressing and even if it makes no sense to anyone else. I need to write this.
Today it has been 3 years since my Dad passed away, he died of a massive heart attack. My biggest comforts are just remembering that it was very quick and he would not have known what hit him, that he was at home and that I had been lucky enough to see him just 4 hours before I got the call from my mother to say that he had collapsed and was not breathing.
G had been due to go to Melbourne the following day for work so we had been out shopping with Abbey. We decided that we should stop in at the video shop on the way home and get some videos for us to watch while he was gone. We got to the carpark of the shopping centre and I thought maybe it would be better to take Ab to the toilet before we left, just in case it we took a while at the video shop, so Abbey and I went back into the shopping centre and moments later saw my Dad at a distance, we decided to run up and say hello. We called out and he stopped just inside the doorway of the supermarket, he knelt down and Ab ran to him for a big hug. Looking back now even that was strange as she had just been through a strange patch of not hugging him as he would tickle her and she would pretend to hate it! We talked a few minutes then we all went on our way..that was the last time I saw him alive.
Since he died there have been 5 more grandchildren born and it hurts that he is missing out on seeing them grow. I take a lot of comfort in knowing he at least got to be a grandfather to Abbey for just over 4 years, he was wonderful with her and she adored him.
There's nothing more I can really say, I have tried to not dwell on this too much today and keep busy but now the kids are in bed, and the house is quiet I guess it's that time of night when things are peaceful and feelings and thoughts tend to sneak up on you.

I miss you so much Dad, and I love you to bits.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jo,
Your dad was a very kind, helpful and intelligent man. I remember him with fondness.

RIP Mr G. My thoughts are with you.

Rachael

11:18 PM, January 11, 2006  
Blogger katef said...

Sending you huge hugs and all our love.

1:40 PM, January 12, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im sorry for the Loss of your dad. I know that I would be heartbroken if I lost my dad. I know the day will come and the thought of it just terrifies me...

Thinking of you
Kaysie

10:24 AM, February 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home