Saturday, April 22, 2006

How Quickly Life Can Change

I don't even know how to start writing this post. This morning I woke up and was soooo excited as G and I had planned to take the twins shopping for their big kid beds, such a big milestone going from cots to beds. Shortly after 8.30am the phone rang, it was my Mum to tell me my Nana had taken a turn for the worse. After much dithering on my Mum's part I got us ready, picked my Mum and Abbey up (Ab was due to spend 4 nights at my Mum's house) and headed for the nursing home. We arrived around 11.40am. Nan was in immense pain and I decide it best for the kids not to see her but Ab insisted she wanted to so I took her in for literally about 2 minutes but it upset Abbey so much she couldn't speak. I got Gareth to take the kids home and wait for my updates. Our GP arrived about an hour later, but there is nothing we can do for her, her heart is failing and nothing will fix it. It may take up to 48 hours for her to pass away, and it's horrible as all we can do is sit and wait. The morphiene made her so much more peaceful and she eventually fell into a more restful sleep and remained thay way until I left at 5.20pm.
When G picked me up the kids came in to see Nana, and I think it made Abbey feel better to see her resting quietly, and I felt glad the twins had been able to come in even if Nan wasn't aware.
We spent a strange afternoon at her bedside, my mother, myself, my Aunt and Uncle and my two cousins popped in also. It was good to be together, sharing stories, teasing each other and remembering what an amazing life she has led during her 89.5 years of life.
She was born in Madras, India, she served in the Army, rode elephants, hunted tigers, her father was a naturopath and they led a very privileged life in India. She married my grandfather, who was in the British Army and they moved to the UK to Romsey. When my grandfather died in 1982 she moved to Australia, she went riding in a hot air balloon in her 70's and also made a trip back to India to see her sister. She has 5 grandchildren and 8 great-grandchildren..so in all she has led an amazing life.
Now that I am home I am feeling quite dazed by everything, I seem to not be able to concentrate on anything and hence I guess while I am getting all this out now on my blog so that hopefully I can sleep tonight instead of being driven mad by thoughts whirling through my head all night. Forgive me if it takes a few days to update here but I feel we may have a rough week ahead.

5 Comments:

Blogger katef said...

Sending loads of love and support during this tough time. I hope your Nan remains peaceful and you all get to say your goodbyes and be there for each other.... take care of yourself.

9:24 PM, April 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thinking of you and your family Jo. A tough time for all of you, but great that you can all support each other in these sad times. Hugs.

9:35 PM, April 22, 2006  
Blogger Chris said...

Oh Jo I am so sorry to hear about your nan. Sending enormous hugs your way and I am here if you need me you know that. I don't know what else to say at the moment so please know we are all here for you in anyway we can.

Hugs to you all.

10:37 PM, April 22, 2006  
Blogger Skipper said...

Jo I am so sorry that you have to go through this. I know how rough it is and what a rough time you will have ahead. I am sending you loads of love and support to you and your family. Take care.

10:41 PM, April 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Jo - i am here for you if you need anytime. My thoughts and love are with you. xxx

10:44 PM, April 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home