Monday, May 01, 2006

A Long, Hard Day

Today was Nan's funeral and even now some 6-7 hours later I am just still not sure how I feel about it all. Part of me is really glad it's over but part of me is almost angry at what a stupid send-off she got. The service just didn't have any flow to it, didn't seem to give any insight into the woman that my nana was and just seemed to completely lack any warmth. Anyone who didn't know my Nana beforehand would not be any closer to having a clue who she was from attending that service.
On the better side I am just bursting with pride at my children's behaviour during the service. Against my wishes we sat in the front row with no way of making a discreet exit if the twins were to start getting loud. I needn't have worried, they were so angelic it was like they knew they were supposed to be quiet. Scarlett sat nestled between my Mum and brother and Joe sat on my lap, they didn't try to jump up or run around, they didn't squeal or chatter too much. They just sat, listened, watched and looked around at the sea of faces behind them. They all three came with me to place a bunch of orchids on nana's coffin , Joe carried them up and I lifted him and he put them down so gently on top. Our little man looked so proud of himself.
More than anything today, they were the ones that got me through.

On a final note, during the service there was a prayer for those others in the world grieving for loved ones today, Annette I thought of you and sent you extra thoughts and hoped that your day was a beautiful one despite your family's heartache.

3 Comments:

Blogger katef said...

I was thinking of you today... I am so glad your children were your shining light today. *hugs*

8:35 PM, May 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Jo, I too thought of you at a few different times today, and I think Kate sums it up beautifully. Hugs to you and your family :o)

9:46 PM, May 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jo you were in my thoughts today. You have every right to feel so proud of Ab, Scarlett and Joe - what gorgeous kids you have got. They must have known that you needed them today.....take care chickadee xxx

10:24 PM, May 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home